So today I cleaned my kitchen I mean cleaned it. Inside cupboards, scrubbed the nooks and crannies and reorganized. This was quite a needed effort because bless my husband dearly when he unpacked stuff he just kind of threw it in cupboards so I needed to go after him and fix it. As I was working I meditated on the story of Martha and Mary. If you are not aquainted with it it is the story of two sisters who get a visit from Jesus and his disciples found in the Gospel of Luke.
38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”
So as I contemplated this I considered am I a Martha or a Mary. I am not a neat freak by any means my mother will atest to that. I am not the first person to jump up to do the dishes when we have company I enjoy the time at the table visiting. I don't have to have my whole house absolutely spotless before I go to bed. All that being said. My house is tidy and my bathroom is clean. I have gotten better at this cleaning and organzing thing as I have gotten older which is rather ironic because I have more children.
I do however take the time to be with Jesus. Even if only for a few moments a day. Because what does it matter how perfect things are on the outside if they are a mess on the inside. You could be the most neat freak person. Everything crisp clean and shiney but if you are not living the way Jesus wants you to live and spending time with him daily what does it matter?? You can not take your house, your clothes, or your stuff with you when you die. The only thing that goes with you is your spirit and the relationships you have with those around you.
So I ask you what are doing while your family or friends comes to visit?? Are you cleaning and bustling about or are you taking the time to build those relationships. I am not by any means telling you to neglect your home I am however saying that if you only have an hour to spend with your guest. Spend it with them the dishes or the laundry can wait until later. THEY WILL ALWAYS BE THERE. Your family or friend may not...
Great thoughts! I completely agree!
ReplyDelete